UNFORTUNATELY THIS ISN’T THE WORLD FAMOUS BRITISH BUTNER SELF ADJUSTING PIPE REAMER BUT IS THE SAME DESIGN AND THE QUALITY IS BETTER THAN MOST SUBSTITUTES WE HAVE COME ACROSS.
Unfortunately as you may already be aware the British Butner pipe reamer was discontinued many years ago. We have eventually come across a reasonable substitute. They are made of highly polished steel and come packaged in a fitted black box.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CORRECT USE: (Original British Buttner instructions)
1. The Reamer must be at its minimum when inserted into the bowl.
2. The Reamer must be inserted at an angle of 90" and maintained at such an angle.
3. Rotate the Reamer in both directions until the blades are cutting smoothly into the carbon wall, using light firm pressure.
4. Continue until the desired thickness of carbon wall is obtained.
5. Great care must be taken where the carbon deposit is lumpy .the Reamer must not be forced but gently rotated in both directions until the lumps are removed.
Do not allow your pipe to become so badly carbonated as to prevent insertion of the reamer into the bowl.
Remember that an excessively carbonated pipe can be brittle and must therefore be reamed with due care.